- Bad taste jokes (race, religion or sex). If you have to indulge wait until you are at the bar later on.
- Mother-in-law jokes. This is the day to give them a miss.
- Stories about previous girlfriends or boyfriends – whether happy or awful.
- Long rambling shaggy dog stories. Save them for the dog!
- Get drunk – at least wait until you finished your speech.
- Criticise harshly – it is an important day and everyone wants to remember it for the right reasons.
- The near cancellation. Planning a wedding can be an extremely stressful experience for a couple, so if there was a possibility that the wedding was to be cancelled, don’t mention it – they’ve been through a tough enough time.
- Prepare notes – a neat piece of card with bullet points written it will help you remember the important ‘thank yous’ and mentions you need to make if your brain freezes just before you speak.
- Speak clearly – check the microphone is working. ‘Can everyone hear me?’
- Speak slowly – remember adrenalin will make you speak much faster so pace yourself.
- Make small pauses in the speech. If you have your whole speech written out, mark the places you should take a pause and catch your breath.
- Make eye contact with the people you refer to during the speech.
- Smile – it makes all the difference.
For full speech guidelines and professionally written, humorous and memorable speeches go to: www.blarneyspeeches.com ENJOY!